There are a growing number of people who have chosen to take responsibility for their personal safety and the safety of their families by purchasing a handgun. Unfortunately the purchase of a tool does not immediately give the purchaser the skills, training and wisdom of how and when to use this tool.
One of our tenets is that the purchase of tools is not enough, that”Knowledge, Skills and Experience Trump Gear”. It is important for all who take responsibility for their personal safety to understand how/what/why handguns work and how to be safe with them. For those who own a personal handgun, it is important to have proper experience with defensive techniques and ballistics to safely use the tool they own. For those who do not own a handgun, it is important for them to understand what a handgun can and cannot do, how to safely operate it or make it safely inoperable to others.
In the United States, there are a growing number of Concealed Handgun License/Permit (CHL/CHP), Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW), or Concealed Carry Permit/License (CCP/CCL) holders. Responding to this need, a growing number of handgun trainers. Unfortunately most firearms training emulates police and/or military training or is geared towards the shooting sports. Beyond the basic operation of the handgun and basic marksmanship, there are pitfalls and items of consideration that the Concealed Carry holder must plan for. The need for basic handgun concealment techniques and intermediate training are important now more than ever before.
My goal is to give students the information, basic skills, and mindset needed to safely and effectively carry and use a handgun for self defense all in a non-militant, safe and friendly environment.
I help students select a proper retention system, draw/use their handgun from this concealed retention system safely and quickly as is required in most close-range high-speed defensive situations, and to understand the legal responsibilities of handgun use.
These techniques should be considered a minimum for anyone who owns or is considering carrying a handgun for self defense.
In Classroom Subjects Covered:
– Legalities concerning the use of deadly force (both criminal and civil)
– Interactions with law-enforcement during and after an engagement
– Handgun types and operation
– Handgun Ballistics and ammunition
– Holster selection, accessories, placement, and off body security
– Review of Firearms safety as it pertains to self-defense.
– Conversations and tactics with family
– Understanding of Firearms safety when carried on person, whether concealed or open.
– Convenience considerations of concealed carry in everyday environments
On Range Subjects Covered:
– Review of basic marksmanship & the integrated act of firing: stance, grip, sight alignment, trigger press, follow through
– Engagement from the ready position, the draw, and the concealed draw
– Reloading: Speed reloading, tactical reloading
– Clearing malfunctions
– Basics of tactical response to single or multiple opponent situations
– Basics of rapid multiple shots on single targets to safety
– Basics of rapid engagement of multiple targets to safety
– 1 Day NRA Basic Pistol Course $200
To teach the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for owning and using a pistol safely. This introductory course covers safe firearms handling, pistol selection, ammunition selection and marksmanship fundamentals. 8 hour course includes 1 hour of Range time.
– 1 Day Defensive Handgun/Concealed Carry Techniques & Tactics $200
This intermediate course covers practical concealed carry pistol techniques, safe pistol draws, holster/retention selection, defensive concealment fundamentals, and marksmanship considerations. 8 hour course includes 2 hours of Range time.
– 1 Day (10 Hrs) Ventura County CCW Course $280 / CCW Renewals (4 Hr course) – $200
This course is the CCW Approved course for the Ventura County Sheriffs Department. Applicants will learn the required training in firearm safety and the laws regarding the permissible use of a firearm. Penal Code section 12050 limits the training of new applicants to 16 hours but mandates a minimum of 4 hours for renewals. A certificate of completion will be issued to applicants who demonstrate the knowledge and proficiency required – practical test and the written test. 10 Hour New Applicant Course includes 2 hours of range time. Renewal Course includes 1 hour of range time.
Prerequisite: Approval from VCSD. CCW permit information can be referenced at: http://www.vcsd.org/ccw-permits.php